Sunday, November 18, 2007

On Being A Goth...


What is Gothic ? Is it a "thing"... a trend, or just a kind of fashion ? The answer is NO to all these questions. Being Gothic...or being a Goth is not about proclaiming to be a follwer of the Drak Elements... or wearing black clothes, pale make-up and black nail-polish. Gothicity is all about the feel...the very essence of the darker, murkier, more reflective side of you. Being Gothic is about expressing your sorrow through dark poetry. Its all about magnifying the gloom that is omnipresent and the need to acknowledge it. Yes- rebel, punk, black clothes, grungy accesories and black nail-polish necessarily come along with it, but they're only the secondary manisfestations of your soul's craving to be set free into the world of NIGHT... the world of BLACK... the world of darkness the world of pain and sorrow. Some people have the very wrong notion that Gothicity is all and only about horror, gore, gross images depicting young people engaged in perverted, bloody, violent acts- NO ! Gothicity is sublime... yes- dignified even. Goths aren't always the scary, gory, bloody screamers yelling profanities, as they are usually portrayed to be. Pure Goths are quiet, sad, reflective souls who introspect within themselves to extract the sorrow from their soul and see it transform into serene, mournful peices of poetry and art. In the end, its all about your soul's inner need to experience pain...Gothicity. Its got nothing to do with outward expressions using skulls and/or similar things. There's a Goth in you too, just waiting to be beckoned out to...So be unique... be a Goth... Step into the threshold of the dark world that awaits you... ~

3 comments:

Aankhi-ii said...

Personally, I have described a LOT of things as "gothic" but, I myself don't understand what it stands for.. for each and every person gives it a different meaning, and it thoroughly depends on the person's perspective... I wear black all the time (almost) and black nailpolish, but that is only because I like to do so, and not because I "want to" look gothic, despite what people may say...

There are people who "want to be" gothic, because they think that that is "cool", but as you rightly said - it isn't about being a believer of evil or wearing black - or any such outward ways of showing it.

And, as I said..I don;t know what 'goth' truly means, but..I like the way you have defined it.. but, I would also like to put it forth that I truly don't agree with - "In the end, its all about your soul's inner need to experience pain..." Each person's soul is different, and even though almost every soul often needs to be cleansed, there are some people who have faults only outwardly. So, does each and every soul need to experience pain? It's my personal opinion that pain is brought to us only by one way - and that's us. If we long to be happy, we can be..and perhaps some people don't want to feel happy. I don't mean to make you feel pissed with me, and I am saying this with the fear that you will be inwardly pissed, but..is it that some people feel afraid to feel happy? What do you think..? I just told you..that I am blissfully happy, and since you know how I used to be just last year, it is a major change, and it is ME who has brought it around... so what do you have to say about happiness, I would love to know - it is sublime, but - you can have it if you WANT to...

(ohh, geez..I have gone completely off topic :P)

Unknown said...

hey goth diva... hope ur doin well.... visited ur blog again 2day & my frnd's gonna take a while 2 do so coz he dsnt 've net @ home & he was unable 2 find ur bog las time ... rite more & guess wht der's another frnd of mine she wants 2 share her poems wid ya... she rite really well & mostly melancholic death oriented stuff... 'l try 2 get both of u on... lets c... till den take care... ;)

MorbidMaiden said...

I agree with you, sister. Gothicism is about expressing the chaos and pain within - lothes and make-up is just another form of expression. It doesn't mean we fail to have moment of joy, love etc - though I guess we do tend to have fatalistic viewpoints.

And I guess the fear of being blissfully happy is a part of that. After all, if you've never had it, it seems an inacheivable goal and there are only so many times you can try before you give up.

Blessings,
Reverie
xxx