Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Forgotten


The wind whooshes, the owl shrieks...

I shiver in the chill of the night...

Out in the distance I can see the graveyard...

Its tombstones glowing eerily in the moonlight...


The tombstones... etched with the memoirs of the dead

They're past...they're history, they are forgotten,

Nobody remembers them, not even their dearest...

They lie, stilled, among their brethren...


The once-white marble is cold to touch,

The rotten flowers foul to smell,

But no one's complaining, as they're dead...

They're in peace...all and well.


But they lived- once upon a time...

They'd lives, wives, children and all...

But now, nodoby cares to come and remember 'em,

They no more matter- their part's significantly small...


But I hear their voices, their muffled anguish,

Their sorrow, their pain....their shame.

You must be wonderin' why-

Its because...well, I am one of them.


Yes, I had a life... a father, a mother,

Friends, sisters... even a betrothed.

But one day, the day I was betrayed,

In just a moment...it all ended...


I was betrayed, refused, tortured...

Till I could bear no more.

And so (yet) with a smile on my bleeding lips,

I ended the pain...right in the core

Of my heart, the dagger stood out...

Blood streamed down my chest.

Yet no shout of pain- no scream of agony

Escaped my lips... as I slipped into eternal rest...


Sometimes I cry, yes you'll laugh,

You'll say- "Ghosts can't cry !"

But I do... I miss my life.

I miss them all- that's why.


You can't understand...you're living.

You have a life.... you're happy.

But you'll realise the day you join me...us...

The value of life...the joys, the pains- everything...

You'll repent, but till then,

Live in the moment, for it'll never come back.


Just pay us a visit sometimes, that'll be enough...

For us - the dead, the forgotten...

We'll just slip into oblivion...~

No comments: